Born in Turin in 1883, Maria Nielli became Nina Ricci upon arrival in Paris when she combined her nickname with her husband’s last name. Her Haute Couture house was founded in 1932, at 20 Rue de Capucines in Paris, complete with the design atelier and salons for fittings. Her technique, cuts, balance and materials conferred striking simplicity on the Nina Ricci woman.
Designer Gérard Pipart succeeded Jules-François Crahay in 1964. Throughout the following three decades, his Haute Couture vision celebrated a flamboyant woman and his ready-to-wear found a loyal following among the most stylish women of the day.
Following Olivier Theyskens, Peter Copping was named Creative Director of the House in 2009. His style reinstated a soft, light spirit of femininity.
Guillaume Henry succeeded him in 2015. The Fall/Winter 2015-2016 collection would be his first for Nina Ricci.